Known for her bold choices, whether it’s metallic magenta lipstick (that stays perfectly in place even after lunch) or a silhouette for the newly-launched Kaia Collective label, Le Tote’s Assistant Apparel Designer, Alena does everything with an edge. Here’s a peek into her world.
What is your role at Le Tote?
I design apparel and most recently worked on our new label called Kaia Collective. I feel lucky that I get to work with different teams through the various stages of the design process — from concept creation, the colors, prints and fabrics all the way to wash testing.
What’s the highlight of your day?
Nothing beats a good fit session! That feeling when the fit model tries on a style we’ve worked so hard on and it looks great! And when everyone else sitting in on the fitting likes the style just as much as you do, it’s such a happy bonus!
Tell us about your personal style.
My personal style is a little glam and a little edgy. I have a rule: I only wear what makes me feel good. I love a good statement piece and I love anything metallic (even in the day!). I like to accessorize and play with textures, mixing velvets with denim and satins.
What are your top five M-F must-haves?
- A great fitting pair of black pants. Every woman needs a pair of pants that fit her well and can be worn with multiple looks, dressed up or down.
- A statement jacket that can add some spice to a black dress or dark denim.
- A ponte piece. A piece (or more) in ponte knit with its durable, flattering stretch is a must-have whether it’s pants, a dress or a jacket.
- A printed blouse. It could be a fun floral or something graphic, anything that shows off your personality.
- A ring stack. Stacking a few delicate gold rings looks effortlessly chic and elevates any work or weekend look.
What are five things we should know about you?
- I am a crazy, dog lady! I have two boxers and I am obsessed with them!
- I love metallics and anything shiny!
- My favorite designers are Versace, Sally LaPoint, and Azzedine Alaia.
- My favorite movie is The Breakfast Club.